Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is an autologous biological blood product rich in growth factors and other bioactive molecules that play important roles in cell proliferation, tissue growth and collagen synthesis. PRP offers therapeutic approach to wound healing and tissue damage and is now being used in sports injuries, hair loss and cosmetic procedures.
Why PRP For Facelift
There are many benefits of using the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment for a facelift, such as;
- Treats sagging skin due to aging.
- Reduce wrinkles and deep creases.
- Reduces pore size and makes them smaller and tighter.
- Treats dark circles and acne scars.
- Treats sun-damaged skin and sunspots.
- Smooth the surface of the skin.
How Does It Work?
The PRP injections or Facelift uses the patient’s own blood to stimulate healing and growth. It is an ideal treatment process that was initially used for injuries but has recently gained traction for anti-aging treatment. PRP injections consist of platelets that heal injuries because of growth factors like transforming growth factor (TGF), platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), more bioactive proteins, and plasma, which is the liquid part of the blood.
When the PRP injections are injected, the platelets signal the other cells to accelerate cell division, tissue regeneration, and increased collagen growth, which accelerates the healing process. As a result, the skin has an improved texture, reduced scarring, and thicker dermis.
Blood is drawn from the patient.
- Blood is centrifuged for ten minutes to separate the fluids of different densities.
- The centrifuged blood is separated into 3 layers; red blood cells, platelet-rich plasma, and platelet-poor plasma.
- A topical numbing cream is applied pre-treatment to reduce pain and discomfort.
- The platelet-rich plasma is drawn through a syringe and injected into the surface of your skin. Another way to administer PRP treatment is through microneedling.
The administration method used is based on your age, issues, and skin type.
When Will I See Results?
Initial results are seen right after the procedure, the extracted PRP that are injected to areas of concern act as volumizers that can cause facial lifting effect. You can see the full effect of the treatment within a few weeks to a month as your skin heals and reproduce collage. For better results, patients need to get more than one treatment. Around 3-6 treatment sessions are optimal and need to be divided into 4 to 6 months. The results last for as long as 8-12 months, so you need to go for follow-up treatments bi-annually or annually.
What Can I Expect After Treatment?
Since it is a non-surgical procedure, there are no risks involved in the procedure itself. Patients can have bruising, pain, and swelling afterward, but it is gone in a few days.
Is It Right For Me?
As mentioned above, it is a safe and secure treatment method and suitable for most people. Although, if you are diagnosed with blood cancer, HIV, cardiovascular disease, etc., treatment will be rejected. Thus, it’s best to consult your doctor before opting for PRP.