Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a treatment used to accelerate and enhance healing in the body. It is most commonly used for hair restoration. PRP therapy for hair loss is a 3-step medical treatment that involves drawing the person’s blood, processing it, and then injecting it back. It is popular because PRP injections stimulate natural hair growth by increasing the blood supply to the follicles and increasing hair shaft thickness.
Why PRP For Hair Restoration
There are many benefits of platelet-rich plasma therapy, such as;
- Effective in treating male pattern baldness.
- Stimulates natural growth and prevents hair loss
- Increases hair volume, hair thickness, and growth phase cycle.
- Aids in natural growth after hair transplant.
How Does It Work?
To understand how PRP injections work, you first need to know what platelet-rich plasma is. PRP consists of two elements, the plasma (liquid portion of the blood) and platelets (type of blood cells that help heal). Platelets can be used to heal a wound and also stimulate growth in the area affected. To make it work, providers need to ensure the blood sample contains more percentage of platelets than usual, the blood is centrifuged to get concentrated amounts of platelets.
The platelet-rich plasma is then inserted into the specified area to stimulate growth hormones and enhance the healing and hair growing process.
- Blood is drawn from the patient, usually from the arm.
- Blood is centrifuged for ten minutes to separate the fluids of different densities.
- The centrifuged blood is separated into 3 layers; red blood cells, platelet-rich plasma, and platelet-poor plasma.
- The platelet-rich plasma is drawn through a syringe and injected into the affected areas of the scalp to stimulate hair growth.
When Will I See Results?
The PRP treatment for hair restoration requires more than one dose. You need to divide the injections into a course of 3 treatments within 4 to 6 weeks and follow up with additional treatments every 6 weeks.
The results are not immediate and will progress and become visible over time. You will experience new hair growth, reversed balding, thicker and denser hair, and a receding hairline might grow back too.
What Can I Expect After Treatment?
Since the treatment uses your own blood to stimulate growth, the chances of infection or any communicable disease are less, but it’s still best to take precautions. Possible side effects include scar tissue, injury to blood vessels, and infection.
Is It Right For Me?
PRP treatment is a safe and effective way to reverse hair loss and stimulate natural hair growth. The growth factors released from PRP could have positive benefits on hair follicle regeneration. However, It is best to consult your doctor before opting for PRP Injection.